We live in a connected world, a big scaled network. Therefore, you must know the best practice for network security. This information and knowledge help you to protect your network from attack. Moreover, it also trains you as the operator or administration of that network to have better instincts and be aware of the attack that occurs on your network. So, here is what you need to do.
Learn More about OSI Model
What is a virus in a computer? You may think that the first thing you should do is learn more about the virus. You are wrong. OSI or Open System Interconnect model is the thing that you need to master first. It is the base of the network. This system was developed in 1981. However, the modern network is still using it as the base to build the network. In this part, you need to learn about seven layers of the network, which are:
- Layer 7: Application – for email, file transfer, and file servers,
- Layer 6: Presentation – encryption, code conversion, data formatting,
- Layer 5: Session – establishing a connection with another device,
- Layer 4: Transport – data delivery supports,
- Layer 3: Network – packet routing,
- Layer 2: Data link – message frame tracking and monitoring,
- Layer 1: Physical – physical interface that obstructs the network connection.
Understanding the Network Devices
The next step of the best practice for network security is a network device. There are at least five network devices you should master, which are:
- Hubs – connecting multiple network devices,
- Switches – control the Hubs operation,
- Routers – for data transmission,
- Bridges- connect more hosts or networks,
- Gateways – it works on Layer 4 of the OSI model.
The last thing you should learn is the program that can protect your network against attacks from outside and inside. There are several of them that you need to know, such as:
- Firewall – monitoring data traffic,
- Intrusion Detection System (IDS) – detect the hacker or malicious software,
- Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) – prevent the intruder to launch an attack,
Conclusion In general, those are several things that you need to learn if you want to get the best protection for your network. Each of them works together like clock gears. If one of them doesn’t work properly, it will affect your entire system. Once you finish and try the best practice for network security, you will be able to protect your network without any problem.